Recent project updates
Agriculture is the backbone of Kenyan economy with 80% of Kenyans relying on agriculture as a living. The sector accounts for more than half of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP). Agriculture in Kenya is predominantly composed of smallholders practicing mixed farming; they are highly vulnerable to climate stress episodes and to soil quality depletion as they mostly rely on rain-fed agriculture. As rainfalls are unpredictable and unreliable - analysis of Kenya’s water resources show a high water security threat across the entire area – high water-use efficiency ratio (WUE) is critical. WUE is the measure of a cropping system’s capacity to convert water into plant biomass or grain. It includes the use of water stored in the soil, and therefore, WUE relies on the soil’s ability to capture and store water. A lack of soil organic matter (SOM) in Kenya’s depleted soils decreases the ability of the soil to hold water, thus decreasing WUE, crop yields, and ultimately farmer incomes. According to the Ministry of Agriculture, lack of SOM in soils is a critical factor affecting food security in the country.
3 sales channels will be tested and assessed to prove one or more of them and ensure success of our market entry.
Smallholder farmers in Kenya (Naivasha, Embu, Meru counties mainly).
By successfully assessing the different marketing and sales strategies, we will ensure our capacity to take the necessary time to enter the market: build a brand recognition, create customer loyalty and make sure we can answer market demand. Successfully selling our fertiliser means we can reach breakeven.
Overview of Goals
Measure the efficiency of one-on-one trainings, SMS based marketing and sales methods and the use of social media to reach smallholder farmers in Kenya with useful content and inputs.
Results and indicators
- Marketing and sales strategies are assessed and proven
- Number of customers acquired through one-on-one presentations 1000 ( target )
- Number of people purchasing the product repeatedly after having been introduced to it by one of our teammates in person.
- Number of customer acquired by SMS platform strategy 150 ( target )
- Number of customers acquired after having been introduced to the product through SMS platform, Arifu.
- Number of customers acquired through social media strategy 270 ( target )
- Customer acquired after having been introduced to the product through social media (Facebook, twitter).