In 2014, VIA Water researched the most ‘pressing needs’ regarding water in Africa. The overall conclusion was that these are found in the urban environment. The pressure on cities is increasing due to population growth and aggravated by a lack of adequate city planning. There are 12 pressing water-related problems in this urban system. VIA Water aims to find innovative solutions to these pressing needs by making optimum use of the energy, creativity and entrepreneurial skills that are also to be found in these cities.
Download the report: african_studies_centre_-_water_dynamics_in_the_seven_african_countries_of_dutch_policy_focus.pdf(104.57 KB)
All Pressing needs
Beneath each pressing need you will find a link to related organisations, platforms, knowledge hubs etc. Please note: we try to update these regularly; however, you might find some links to be outdated, which is unfortunately outside of our hands.
You can also go straight to all of the VIA Water website content on the topic mentioned.
1. Sustainable access to drinking water services
2. Sustainable access to sanitation services
3. Equitable and efficient water use in urban and peri-urban agriculture
4. More and reliable water harvesting and storage
5. Sustainable use of groundwater resources
6. Improved quality of water resources and distributed water
7. Good quality data gathering, management and sharing
8. Institutional strengthening
9. Sustainable and equitable water allocation
10. Viable financial arrangements and partnerships
11. Improved urban planning
12. Preventing and coping with floods, droughts and coastal erosion
We also work on these general topics:
- Innovation. You can access a list of links to related organisations or platforms here. To view all website content on innovation, click here.
- Business development
- Proposal writing